Friday, June 03, 2011

Descriptions of the heart

There's a certain way words are phrased that cuts to the very marrow of your bone, opening the rusted door to your heart.  The chilling reality and redemption of these words resonated and bounced back and forth till i lost my balance:
DEAR X:
by Disciple

Dear pain, oh, it's been a long time--
Remember when you were holding me tight?
I would stay awake with you all night.

Dear shame, I was safe in your arms--
You were there when it all fell apart...
I would get so lost in your beautiful lies

I let you go, but you're still chasing...

Go ahead
You're never gonna take me.
You can bend
But you're never gonna break me.
I was yours,
I'm not yours anymore.
Oh, you don't own me!

Dear hate, I know you're not far--
You would wait at the door of my heart.
I was amazed at the passion in your cries!

Dear anger, you made me so high--
You were faithful to show up on time.
Such a flame that was burning in your eyes!

I let you go, but you're still chasing...

Go ahead,
Put a target on my forehead.
You can fire
But you've got no bullet.
I was yours
But I'm not yours anymore!
Oh, you don't own me!
You tempted me to look back,
But everything that we had together was a lie!

I am in awe of the writers' ability to give such powerful and reflective words to feelings--I could see my past in each stanza and literally cringed.

But even more powerful is the message of redemption and freedom that is found in the Truth and the Power that is ours as a result.  It reminded me of how far I have come and what an amazing God I serve who can break any chain, giving freedom to even the worst offenders!  Thank you, Jesus! 

When I reflect on that, i know why my cup runneth over!

No comments:

Post a Comment