Saturday, October 30, 2010

Sixteen Years Ago Today...

October 30, 2010

Sixteen years ago, my life was turned upside down...again (for the upteenth time)!

My belly was 10 times its normal size, and the rest of my body...well, it followed suit as well...I was pregnant not due to give birth until November 25.  yeah.  right. 

Just finding out I was pregnant sent me topsy turvy! I went for my 6-month follow-up from Hannah's birth to find out i was nearly 3 months pregnant! My poor doctor had to pick me up off the floor! After all the years we tried to get pregnant with Hannah...???? Gave a whole new connotation to the phrase "it only takes one time..."

So, here it was a Sunday morning.  I spent most of Saturday with what the doc thought were Braxton Hicks...so i counted minutes all that day.  They finally disappeared late into Saturday night.  But they woke me up with a vengeance Sunday morning.  Funny thing, though.  I felt fine as long as i was walking around, but i'd sit down and i was in pain!  My friend, Vanessa, came over and confirmed my thoughts that I ought to go ahead and go in.  My doctor was in the process of moving to another part of the state but promised to deliver my baby before he moved on...unfortunately, he chose that weekend to visit his new home. 

So i'm in the emergency room, and I tell the doctor on call that I want MY doctor.  He tells me that MY doctor is unavailable and HE is the one available.  One of the things I had been very particular about was making sure that there would be only one doctor involved in my pregnancies, and Dr. Wells gave me his word that he would be the one.  So while the doc-on-call and I are having a knock-down-drag-out about who would attend to me, it just so happened one of Dr. Wells nurses was also on call and when she found out I was one of his patients, she paged him...and as promised, he told her he was on his way.  That lovely little angel came in and took over and let me know MY doctor was indeed on his way.  Mr.-High-And-Mighty-Doctor got bent out of shape and left me with the nurse.  During the next 45 minutes or so, my angel nurse and MY doctor are on the phone--she'd already got my chart file and they were exchanging information because though Hannah was delivered by C-section the September before (one month before her due date), I had chosen to deliver this baby vaginally. 

So my wonderful doctor walks in and cracks a joke about my impatience in carrying children full-term, and then proceeds to start pressing around my belly.  When he discovers that my pain is low and at the same place my former C-section was, he looks at me and says--very calmy "I know you really wanted to have this baby vaginally, but we need to do a C-section and we need to do it now" (emphasis on the "now").  Something inside of me knew I didn't need to waste any time following instructions.

I am terrified of epiderals...but it must've worked like a dream, cuz that's what it felt like for a long time...even when they handed her to me before whisking her away.  I don't remember much after that, but according to my dear husband, he had a blast watching the doctor throwing my insides around.


To make a long story short, one of the medications I was taking had thinned the scar tissue area of the previous C-section, and when Rebeka turned downward, she pressed right into that scar...slowly tearing it...so what I thought were contractions were not...apparently she ripped right through there causing me a lot of internal bleeding.  Her embryonic sac never broke which was a good thing, because we found out later that she would have drowned from the internal bleeding--or something like that.

So, sixteen years ago today, our second miracle baby was born that we, without a doubt, know God has great plans for that He would go through such great lengths to bring into our life! 

Sixteen years later, she has come into her own and grown into a lovely young lady.  She is my wild child full of life, full of passion, full of laughter...headstrong and strong willed, she has willed her life to become a woman of God.  She is bright and funny, a lover and a nurturer.  Confident and bold, she walks unafraid of life and basks in all its glory.  Never one to sit still, she has grown her way through violin lessons, ballet, soccer, basketball, track and cross country. 

Today, as we celebrate this milestone, we also celebrate God's providence in all things which allows my cup to runneth over!

No comments:

Post a Comment