Sunday, January 09, 2011

Blessings Wrapped In Small Packages

I now understand the moanings of those who have gone before me when they entered the new season of their lives called retirement...i used to think, "how can you possibly not want your dear husband of many years not to be around you, etc., etc."

Not that i'm in that season; but today, I had my first taste of what might be awaiting me...Keith had surgery on his shoulder yesterday and that resulted in a sleepless night for us both.  He finally fell asleep about 6 a.m. on the couch, and i not to long thereafter.

About 10 a.m., mr. mockingbird's relentless singing awoke me my from a deep sleep.  Soon after, Keith began stirring, so I put on a pot of coffee.  That was the last thing I did by myself without being told...the rest of the day, Keith followed me around reminding what to do, how to do it, and when to do it.  Keep in mind, he is SUPPOSED to be resting--being still.  When he wasn't following me around, he was getting into everything else--all things that were against the rules for him to be doing...! 

And this is Day One--we have six more weeks of this!!!  I need to research how many women commit crimes against their husbands in these types of cases, because i've already threatened him countless times throughout the day!  Not to mention how many times i've had to yell at him to go sit down and be still because I have turned around with him right behind me, banging the wounded side (nearly sending him back to the operating table!) 

I finally became so aggravated that I yelled at him--"Look...i've been fully capable of taking care of this house without you here since Day 1...i don't need you telling me what to do...!" 

To which, this dear sweet man replied, "I know...i guess i'm just trying to make myself useful." 

This man, my husband, so used to being the provider, the one taking care of everything, never limited in any way by anything, never having had to accept that there was something he could NOT do...was feeling defeated--by his own body...and was grasping at a way to maintain some sort of control over something!

In that moment, I found a blessing wrapped in a small package...the gift of a partnership that supersedes all things "natural," created in a covenant promising "in sickness and in health" and fulfilled in the intimacy established from nearly 25 years of love...that's what makes my cup runneth over...!

No comments:

Post a Comment